Saturday, May 17, 2008

Highborne Cay




From Shroud Cay we hiked up to Highborne Cay. Highborne is the northern most Exuma cay that is inhabited. It has attracted a megayacht following in the marina and is quite prosperous. We needed to replenish all the fuels--gas, diesel, coffee and rum. We were so surprised at how neat and prosperous the place looked. The store and fuel dock were first class.

The anchorage was also tops--wide and deep with great holding sand and a picture perfect beach. The only negative was sharks. I wanted to scrub the bottom. When I jumped in I saw a three foot shark resting in the shade of the hull. In the .2 seconds that I examined him, I thought it was a reef shark. Later two 5 footers joined the little one. I suspect they were attracted by the dead squid that Jan was using to fish with. The sharks would not touch the bait. Their game was to wait until a stupid fish took the hook, then they would get a cheap meal. Needless to say the bottom did not get scrubbed.

I am sorry to say I did not get any pics of Highborne Cay.

No comments: