Friday, May 13, 2016

OMG! Is that a boarding ladder or a work of art?

New stainless steel boarding ladder.  Note the widened gateway.

First a crack and then a kerplunk as I felt back into the dingy.  Initially I was angry thinking that I had slipped off the ladder, but immediately I saw that the ladder had broken.  Now I was bit frightened.  If this accident had happened in open water and I had not been lucky enough to land in the dingy, I might have been in serious trouble.  I would never have been able to climb back on board  White Pepper without assistance.  Jan would have had to rig up a block and tackle to hoist me up.  It was now instantly clear to me that a boarding ladder or so called swim ladder is a safety device, not a convenience.  We finished the season using the Defender step fender.  If I had to go in the water I had to get out of and then into the dingy.

The ladder had wood rot where the screws attached the rung.  I had never even thought to seal or ever reseal these screws.  Now the ladder was beyond repair.  My initial thought was to replace it since the attachments were still there.  However, this wooden folding ladder in no long made, possibly because it was not reliable (?)

I had heard of Mystic Stainless Steel fabricators and was lucky enough to meet them at the most recent Annapolis Boat Show.  I was quite impressed with their work and resolved to buy one of their ladders.

After launch at Green Cove Springs this March, I measured the gateway and the toe rail. I then ordered the ladder which came promptly.  The base was 18" instead of the advertised 15".  I had to move one of the stanchions 3" forward.  This was no small task. As you can see in the picture each stanchion has two braces.  Also the stanchion base was too corroded to be reused.  Fortunately I had a spare base that I had been carrying around for years.  These bases are still available for C&C customers from South Shore Yachts in Ontario.

When the ladder was finally in place it looked magnificent--gleaming like a silver jewel! When unfolded and deployed the arms lock in place. The folding elbows are locked in place by sliding sleeves. It is a mechanical work of genius.




Underway I plan to rig up a safety line with a slip knot.  That way if I ever fall overboard and am able to regain the boat, I can tug on the line and release the ladder.





No comments: