Sunday, October 20, 2013

White Pepper Visits the Davises in Solomons

After the excitement at the boat show Jan and I had a chance to visit with our friends Kay and Richard Davis on there boat docked in Solomons, Maryland.  They have a wonderful Katy Krogen 48 trawler and were attending the annual Katy Krogen rally at Solomons. The name of the boat is Texas Ranger.
Texas Ranger at dockside

Kay and Richard also maintain a neat blog at http://trawlertexasranger.blogspot.com.  Following it I was filled with nostalgia as some of the pictures in the blog were near duplicates of those we took on our own journey up the East Coast in 2008.

Jan and I were travelling with daughters Kristi and Layla and son-in-law Pat.  By and by we all headed off the lunch at Stoney's Kingfisher. There is some history here.  During our last visit to Solomons I was still on my quest for the perfect crab cake. A crab cake seems like a simple meal, but is really difficult to do well.  So difficult that few people from Texas have ever had a good one. First the crabs have to be good and fresh, then you can not use too much filler, finally it has to be seasoned and cooked to perfection.  My quest had been fulfilled at Stoney's in 2008, and I was looking forward to another perfect crab cake sandwich.  Richard had said that the crabs were not as good this year in the Chesapeake, but I persisted. When the meal finally arrived it was good but not great, and I was unreasonably disappointed.  The crab was not meaty at all.  I believe the oil had been left in the fryer too long.  

Heraclitus said in the fifth century BC that you could not step into the same river twice.  But I say today that you can not eat the same crab cake twice. So enjoy life the first time around because if you do get a second chance it may not be as much fun.
Three happy customers and one disgruntled gentleman at Stoney's Kingfisher

No comments: