Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving in Charleston


Jan and I can not say enough about Charleston. It is our favorite stop along the ICW and gets my vote as the best tourist city in the USA. See my post of July 2008 for more commentary and pictures.

Since this was my second visit I was not as dazzled by the history or architecture. On this visit I concentrated on the people of Charleston. We treated ourselves to a fine dinner of low country food at Hank's Restaurant, an establishment that I think rivals anything New Orleans has to offer. Besides great food the waiter offered us one juicy tidbit of local dialect. We asked him if he was from Charleston. He said no that he was 'cum year' (translation--come here), but with any luck his grandchildren would become 'bin years' (translation--been here).

As a guy I usually notice the local ladies, but in Charleston I am fascinated by the men. They are almost all small, well formed and have a cocky attitude disproportionate to their size. They have a southern drawl but their enunciation is precise. They are perfect replicas of the small English gentlemen who came here 300 years ago to carve out a place in the swampy wilderness. Then 150 years ago these same small men launched a quixotic rebellion against the industrial revolution. Indeed the Civil War was launched from the very battery that Jan and I strolled along yesterday, now very peaceful. The effect is so striking that the 'cum years' like Jan and I are as noticeable as we were in Greece.

During this visit to Charleston we were blessed to rendezvous with Jan's Aunt Fran and cousin Tammie from Montgomery, Alabama. They were visiting Jan's cousin Kelly, who so graciously invited us to share Thanksgiving. They picked us up and opened their home for a lovely Thanksgiving feast. The pic is of Fran, Tammie and Chris, Kelly's husband, our gracious host.

No comments: