Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Successful Laminectomy

After several consultations Jan and I settled on Dr. Karl Swann, neurosurgeon, of San Antonio, Texas. All consultants recommended surgery. I felt just slightly more comfortable with Dr. Swann's narrative. I am sure that surgery would have been successful in Corpus Christi, but we were very pleased with the process at Methodist Hospital in San Antonio. We arrived (late, caught in traffic) Monday 2-11-08. The surgery took only 21 minutes. Dr. Swann removed a huge (3 cm) disk fragment from Jan's lower spinal canal. I am sure that the surgery will be a great success. Recovery, however, has been slow.

Current plans are for her to recover here in Corpus Christi for 6 to 8 weeks. I will return to the White Pepper in 2 to 3 weeks after the post operative visit. Jan will rejoin me in Georgetown sometime in April, hopefully before the Out Island Regatta. Dr. Swann assures us that she can continue on the voyage. I hope so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been following with much interest this great blog on your planning, preparation, voyage and recent health problems aboard Yacht White Pepper. Thanks for the great storytelling. It's provided a nice escape for me, as a reader. Best of luck, fair winds and following seas.
Sincerely Don Dunlap, Corpus Christi.

Unknown said...

Hi guys. Glad to hear things went well for Jan. Karl when you return you might give a call to "Salty Goose", a 34 ft Crealoch anchored there. Owners are Howard and Debbie Lerner, retired teachers that we met throught the weather net. They have 2 large labs aboard but somehow make it work. They have recently done the east coast to Chesapeake so might have some good info.

Bob & Sue