Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Kent Ullberg at Chub Cay






Apparently things have changed at Chub Cay. Old timers report that it was a funky place that cruisers enjoyed. The anchorage is small but well protected.

However, big money has taken over. All of the old shacks have been leveled and new and expensive homes are being developed resort style. The marina is all solidly bulk headed and has many high quality floating docks. It is well marked and buoyed which is unusual in the Bahamas. Inside most of the boats are sports fisherman or large motor yachts. There were only two other sail boats and one left. The dockage was $2.80/foot/day which is high but well justified by the service and amenities. There is world class beach bar and pool that perfectly faces the sun set.

The chief symbol of all of this wealth has to be the Kent Ullberg sculpture, the Marlin, that graces the entrance to the club. Mr. Ullberg is well known and widely respected in Corpus Christi as well as around the world. His monumental sculptures are unmistakably beautiful. There were several smaller sculptures inside that served as trophies.

The services were wonderful. I cleared customs quickly with the assistance of staff member, Scott. He proofread my forms and drove me to and from the small airport. Dinner at the club was reasonable and delicious.

We wanted to stay, but an ominous and uncommonly strong cold front was predicted. If we were caught in Chub Cay by the norther we would have to stay 4-5 days and Phillip would miss his flight. After our experience in the Gulf with the last norther, we could not face being caught out again. Also I had to get some more fuel filters. After discussion we set out for Nassau on 12-31-07. It was another all day motor straight upwind, but the sea state was mild. It was actually a nice day. We were able to get the last slip available at Nassau Yacht Haven. As the sun went down on 2007 all on board were very pleased to be tied up safely.

As an added bonus we were treated to a spectacular fireworks display by the Atlantis Hotel at midnight. No crew member was resolute enought to stay up for the equally spectacular parade downtown. It started at 1 am, maybe 2, and in a pouring rain. Maybe next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey y'all,

I have so enjoyed reading about your amazing journey! It sounds like such fun and a little bit scary at times! I feel like I'm right there with y'all...I get so caught up in the excitment! Keep writing because I want to keep reading about your adventures! Be safe! Hugs and love, Tammy Brashear

Anonymous said...

I had no idea having fun was so much work! I’m sure it must be a cultivated taste. As I sit here with my wood fire I can only imagine the sensual pleasure of warm sunlight and soft breezes; that is on the occasions that they occur. Otherwise, I’m glad that I am here.

I suppose that all of us know who “anonymous” is with the winging like reference to the “Celebrated Fractional Circumnavigation of the Globe in the Trek to Guatemala & Points Nearby” constantly communicated orally (and most ebulliently with the catalytic effects of ethanol) and now in writing. In all fairness I must yield the point to all that have sailed mostly because my only sailing sojourn was muse to the phrase “I have euros and I want of this boat!” My hat is off to all of you that have sailed and are in fact now sailing. Of course all of you know I don’t wear hats, so the gesture is somewhat hollow. Rather like giving up watermelons for Lent.

Fair seas and following winds to all aboard the Stiffie, er I mean White Pepper. Over & Out.

Jerry Carr