Saturday, September 22, 2007

Odds and Ends

I am making slow progress on the 'to-do" list and finding other problems to fix. I was able to get the Garmin 48 to talk to the EPIRB. I felt very satisfied when the EPIRB, a Rapid Fix 406 from ACR, let out a little bleep saying it was receiving GPS sentences. Now if we sink not only will we know exactly where we are sinking but so will the Coast Guard.

I finally got the Bahamas charts into the laptop on Chart Navigator Pro. I do not know why it had to be so hard. It took hours, and I just pecked the damn thing into working. I was disappointed the the charts are not vector and not nearly as detailed as the USA charts, but they should suffice.

I changed out the main halyard this morning and ordered the second reef line.

I am going the Blue Water now to finalize the purchase of the windlass and anchor chains. It will be expensive but necessary. I am going with a Lofrans Royal vertical manual two speed windlass and two combination rodes. Each will be 100' of ACCO 5/16" HT chain spliced into 150' of 5/8" nylon three strand. Of course one could argue for more, but we are only going to be anchoring in 20' of water maxi mun. If I ever that the boat into deeper water, I will have to buy more chain.

Jan is in NYC on vacation today and the weather is beautiful so I think I will take the White Pepper over to Ingleside Cove and try out all my new toys.

No comments: