Wednesday, August 15, 2007

New Batteries

Just finished installing the new batteries. They are three Oddessy brand AGM's labeled 3150 for the number of cold cranking amps. The constant electrical demands of the freezer just ate the old Orbital batteries. They were 35 months into their 36 warranty anyway. Each of the Oddessy batteries weighed 75 pounds and I wondered if I could even lift them into the box. If I could would the box hold the weight? I had rebuilt the box last year with Starboard. Fortunately I reinforced with just this possibility in mind. The floor sagged but held.

For the occasion I replaced the old leads with new 2 gauge ARCO wire and copper lugs--muy primo. Copper is so expensive now that I had sticker shock at Blue Water, but in a pinch when every last amp is needed I hope they are worth it.

My electricity management plan is to only use two at a time keeping the third battery completely off line. We will use battery #1 on odd days and #2 on even days. Then we will rotate among the batteries every month.

No comments: